fire service

If you have any questions about buying land, building a home, etc, ask them in here.
dick.wilson

fire service

Post by dick.wilson »

We will be building on Ahiukau st in june of 09. I understand fire service is provided by a volunteer dept. Since water is provided by catchment, I assume the fire dept. uses catchment water for fire service. Do they siphon, or do they need a service outlet and if so what size? We are building a 4 bedroom at approximately 1800 sq. ft and are are planning on a 15K gallon catchment. I assume this is large enough to provide fire service? Thanx, Dick & Kathy
bfreitas

Re: fire service

Post by bfreitas »

Aloha,
From what I understand, this is the sequence of events in case of a fire;
1. Someone calls to report a fire to the police department and the police dispatch the fire department
2. Somehow (radio or cb or scanner) the volunteer fire department, located in Eden Roc Subdivision on road 8 (I do believe Ahiukau is road 8 you lucky rooster), but also serves outlying areas get the information
3. If available, the volunteer fire department responds and since they arrive first, ascertains whether or not the County fire department needs to respond
4. If the County does not need to respond then the volunteer fire department calls and lets them know, if so, visa-versa

There are NO fire hydrants located in this subdivision!

The volunteer fire department has a fire truck with a water tank attached and uses that for its service. If it does need more water than that, there is a tank on road 8 with water. Of course, if you can install an attachment to your tank to accept their hose that would be a golden goose. I dont know what size adapter they need. I dont know their direct number but the Eden Roc Estates Association number is 808-968-8484, you can leave a message and they should pass your question on to the volunteer fire department who should be happy to tell you what size.

If you have a 15,000 gallon tank you may have the largest in the subdivision; whether or not that is sufficient would depend on the extent of the fire. And at 1,8oo sqft, you may want to ask the county if that tank is large enough

Good luck, youre on the right track

Also, if the County fire department responds to your fire they may need a different size adapter. Heres their website. http://co.hawaii.hi.us/directory/dir_fire.htm
dick.wilson

Re: fire service

Post by dick.wilson »

Thanks a million for the info, you've answered a lot of our questions. I'll contact the fire department for their fitting size. Acording to the civil engineer for HPM , a 15K catchment more than meets county code. At least I hope so, Guess I'll find our when we get the plans stamped. If you don't mind e-mail me at
dickwilson836@msn.com and let me pick your mind on Eden Roc. Have been following the punaweb, but haven't found any other Eden Roc types. Dick :D