Sustainability

This forum is for any community events, yard sales, meetings, etc.
Northey

Sustainability

Post by Northey »

Just wondering how many of us are actually growing food in the subdivision. My concern? The economy doesn't look like it is going to get any better anytime soon -- in fact my concern is it will get a lot worse -- so I'm thinking we should start thinking "local" and how we can trade each other for food when money is tight or when it isn't the easiest thing to get down and back up the hill when going to the farmer's market or the nearest food store. Anyone heard of the proposed $6 tax on every mile we drive to help compensate for our CO2 footprint on energy consumption? There is some crazy stuff being proposed. We're all super independent which is great, me too, but I think working out our own sustainable economy, right here in Eden Roc, is the most independent thing we can do right now. What about organizing now how we can cooperate together to make our lives easier and our stomachs, health, and pocketbooks happier? Nothing is business as usual right now and we need to prepare. Growing food takes time.
Northey

Re: Sustainability

Post by Northey »

I think it would be more accurate to say "carbon" footprint. Sorry.
jkern15674

Post by jkern15674 »

I would be interested in a co-op, right now we just got done dozing the pad so we have nothing planted....but plan too soon. Would anyone be interested in a carpool down to the farmers market. I know someone asked this already on another thread but what kind of veggies/fruits can be propogated in Eden Roc?
Last edited by jkern15674 on Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
jkern15674

Post by jkern15674 »

I haven't heard bout the tax per mile but how could they figure that out as every car has different gas mileage and everyone has different driving patterns affecting MPG. Also there isn't emissions testing so how would that work out... And who pays for the carbon footprint for all the VOG?
Northey

Post by Northey »

The carpool idea to the farmers market sounds interesting. One of us is often looking for a ride out of the subdivision to the main highway in the morning around 8:30 and back again in the late afternoon around 4:00 or 5:00, too. One of us works near the Mt.View post office and it is often difficult to coordinate both our schedules to make that work with only 1 car.
Northey

Post by Northey »

Laundry is the other issue that seems to demand a special trip up and down the hill right now as well. It would be nice to be able to do it more often so it didn't fill the entire back of the truck each time and maybe have someone to talk to that made it more tolerable to do. Our other thought on laundry is the following: has anyone ever used the hand powered "James" washer? We're considering it but would love to see one or talk to someone who has actually used it.
Northey

Post by Northey »

Regarding the carbon footprint and how it would be tracked -- it is supposed to be done thru the GPS units in our cars. All these new "conveniences" have another side to them.

An interesting quote I keep on my computer and often think about in today's world is the following:
"They that give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty NOR safety." Benjamin Franklin
Northey

Post by Northey »

Regarding veggies, if they are under cover and out of the rain, a lot can be grown. Bananas, some variety of chermoya (I don't what it is called here in Hawaii) can grow anywhere, and pineapples and purple sweet potatoes are foods that grow easily here without any problem with the rain. Regarding guava, I know a lot of people consider the plants a pest but it sure is a great source of vitamin C and we love to eat them. I know neighbors who are growing everything I mentioned with no effort. I'm working on getting a covered raised bed garden together and I am experimenting to see what varieties of food crops will grow. We need to get a long time local grower to address this. There is a great seminar for $5. at the door at the Palace Theater on sustainability from 5:00pm to 10pm on March 20th. You might want to consider going. The organizer is one of our Kopua Farm Lot neighbors. Also, look up Know Your Farmer Alliance online. They are great local group that sponsors all kinds of growing seminars, has seed exchanges, and in general are very knowledgeable.
jkern15674

Post by jkern15674 »

Thanks for the beta Northey on the classes!! So how should we go bout organizing these trips?? I imagine the first call to order would be to set up a time and place so we can all meet faces and talk story?? Any suggestions??
mrzoom

Post by mrzoom »

Unfortuanately...worrying about our "CO2" contribution is a moot point frankly. No matter what the rest of the world community does or imposes, the rate at which China pollutes from it's coal machine for manufacturing will forever overwhelm any effects the rest of the world ever tries to do about it. This is the reality of it...the rest is a hoax.