how cold does it really get in Eden Roc?

If you have any questions about buying land, building a home, etc, ask them in here.
steiconi

how cold does it really get in Eden Roc?

Post by steiconi »

We're almost ready to make an offer on a house in Eden Roc. I spent a summer at 1800 feet elevation in Mountain View, and was often chilly. How cold does it get in Eden Roc? In the gazetteer it looks like it's about 1700 feet.
Do you need a woodstove in the winter, or just warm clothes? I'm OK with the rain, but don't like dealing with heating!
thanks,
Lee

C'mon, everybody's got an opinion about the weather, speak up! We've made an offer on the house, but it's going to be a long escrow, so it's not too late to tell me I'll freeze!
misshilo

Re: how cold does it really get in Eden Roc?

Post by misshilo »

Goodness gracious people, answer him!

First, remember the theory of relativity. Are you from Minnesota? It's pretty hot even on the coldest of days. Are you from Guam? It may be a year before you can stop wearing a light jacket at night between late October and late December between 7pm and 7am. If you're buying a conventional, permitted house, have a clause in your purchase agreement to have an inspection done. The building code does NOT require any insulation whatsoever, did ya know that. So, if you're asking about how cold it will be inside your house, that depends on how it's built; stick framing, post and pier and what type, if any, and where they insulation is. ***** and his father have a wood burning stove and swear they would be cold without it. Although their house is conventionally built (not a shack or a tent) it's post and pier and there must not be insulation.
On the very coldest night it has hit 54 degrees OUTSIDE, but with a pair of jeans, socks and shoes and a light jacket, problem solved.
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

Thank you, Misshilo!
We've lived in 10 different places on the Big Island in the last 3 years, and know that sea level is too hot, Volcano is too cold, and the West side is too voggy.

54 degrees is a bit chilly, but do-able. The house is on slab, stick frame, no insulation, single-pane windows. That would probably bring it to 65 to 70 degrees inside; I'll invest in sweats!

thanks again,
Lee (BTW, I'm a her)
trackmom

Post by trackmom »

Aloha Lee. We do not have any heat source in our shack, and it is not too bad. I prefer layering clothes to having a fireplace, and we all are comfortable on the colder days with a sweater or sweatshirt over clothes. Sometimes it is chilly enough for heavy socks in bed, but it's never as cold as it is in Volcano.