Looking to move to Eden Roc- need info

If you have any questions about buying land, building a home, etc, ask them in here.
jime98532

Looking to move to Eden Roc- need info

Post by jime98532 »

I've been looking ALOT online at Eden Roc and like the low lot prices. I've got a jillion questions maybe some of you can answer. If I buy a lot, can I put a trailer on it while I build? I found a guy who'll put an Airstream on your lot. How restrictive are the building codes? Are permits expensive? What does it cost to connect to electricity? Info on catchment systems? Septic or cesspools- what's better? Costs?
I'll leave it at that, for now and try not to be too annoying!
bfreitas

Re: Looking to move to Eden Roc- need info

Post by bfreitas »

People live in tents, shacks, cabins, cars, school buses, tour buses, pallets, storage sheds, tanks, 20 , 30 and 40 foot shipping containers, tarps draped over junked cars and even traditional conventional houses which are not permitted, located in all of the subdivisions on the Big Island. The only cases that Ive heard of where the County has enforced the permit to build requirement was “hooters” in Kona http://starbulletin.com/2007/02/03/busi ... ory03.html and the poor guy who built that amazing house in Kalapana in Royal Gardens Subdivision on County land (he was only off by a few hundred feet). Looks like the volcano may take it anyway.

If you have an airstream on your land, it wont even be considered shelter, but a vehicle!

But, its best to follows the rules and save yourself an ulcer. Yep, the County passed a rule allowing people to build and maintain temporary shelter while building a permitted house. And this is the most economical way to do it:

1. Build slab on grade and under a certain square footage, you don’t need an architect to sign off on your plans
2. Buy your plans from one of the MANY drafting companies in town and for a little more they’ll get them through the county for you
3. You have to hire an electrician and a plumber, and have cesspool or septic tank plans, but you can do all the rest of the work yourself.
4. If you have to have work done, please call around. The quotes can vary. If you can have someone call with a local accent with local knowledge, do so. Not just here, everywhere. If you were building in South Carolina you would want a twang in your voice or you’ll get ripped something’ fierce.
4. This county is extremely economical in its fees.

Heres their website for all the particulars http://co.hawaii.hi.us/permits/permits.htm

Electricity: Many lots have electric poles available. Many do not. When the developer subdivided, they didn’t pay to have electricity brought to each lot. So, each lot owner has to pay individually (That’s called SSPP special subdivision power something or other). One of the reasons the lots are relatively cheap. Did you buy your lot yet? If not, then be sure to get the tmk (tax map key) and contact the electric companys (HELCO) engineering department and ask them about your lot. They will tell you if theres a pole available to you. If so, they will tell you if the SSPP has been paid or if you will need to pay it. Also, just because you want poles added, doesn’t mean HELCO will do it. They need a certain number of lot owners to go in (pay for) what they call a unit. Heres their web site address http://www.helcohi.com/portal/site/helco

CATCHMENT: The county with the university puts out this brochure http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/ctahr2001/c ... omber.html but is by no means a complete guide! Type in cistern, water tank, water catchment online and research. Go to your library and read all the books you can about the subject (ask your reference librarian for help)!!!!! This is a great source. Again, a local guide (voice) is your best bet when buying water storage system components. Since so many people need the systems, it is in high demand and you can REALLY get ripped off in this area.
My opinion; many people have the corrugated metal tanks and they are disturbing. Pacific gunnite makes a ferrocement water tank which is the best for health and longevity but they are priced too high. The county does not have any code regarding water tanks, but you must submit your plans to the health department for approval. I would suggest you build your own out of CMU’s and an interior water proofing coating.

Septic / Cesspool? Again, research these online and at your library. Septic tanks and cesspools are both allowed on lots sized one acre or more. A septic is basically a holding tank, usually plastic, sometimes concrete or CMUS which usually require leaching fields. A cesspool is a (county code) 6 wide x 6 long x 12 deep hole with a concrete cap with a manhole in it. For this you should contact lllll. Or call around. Ive never met him but, no matter where I go I only hear great things about that guy. better? matter of opinion. don't think you have to worry about a cesspool as far as maintainance for a long time especially if you use a bacteria eating substance. You still have to dig a hole for a septic, you should price around. Someone give him some prices please. I would go with cesspool.

Here the county/university cesspool/septic publication
http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/HH-11.pdf

Okay, that’s enough, someone else please help this guy! lol
bfreitas

Re: Looking to move to Eden Roc- need info

Post by bfreitas »

I LEFT THIS OUT LAST ON MY LAST POST, I COULDN'T REMEMBER THE GUYS NAME

ROSEBUD IS THE NAME; LAST NAME I THINK, NAME OF HIS CONTRACTORS CONSTRUCTION COMPANY I THINK; CALL THE EDEN ROC NUMBER AND THEY'LL HOOK U UP

Septic / Cesspool? Again, research these online and at your library. Septic tanks and cesspools are both allowed on lots sized one acre or more. A septic is basically a holding tank, usually plastic, sometimes concrete or CMUS which usually require leaching fields. A cesspool is a (county code) 6 wide x 6 long x 12 deep hole with a concrete cap with a manhole in it. For this you should contact lllll :roll: . Or call around. Ive never met him but, no matter where I go I only hear great things about that guy. better? matter of opinion.