internet service recommendations

For posting anything in any category we don't yet have a forum for...
summer

internet service recommendations

Post by summer »

Can anyone recommend a good internet service for the Eden Roc area? I live on road 17.

Thanks!

Summer
radiopeg

Re: internet service recommendations

Post by radiopeg »

Hello there, Summer. I wait and try to give someone else a chance to speak up. You can see by the dates, we are not a very active group here. I am on road 13 and I get pathetic service on a Virgin Mifi device. I have friends in the subdivision here who get service through Hughes via satellite, and that is working well for them. They previously had one through Starband, and it was much more unreliable and fairly slow. If you have a great view of the sky (Southerly, I think) you might try them. I had that starband service for one month, and it was not any better than my wifi and not as comfortably shared with our two computers. For everyone it seems very individual as to their service area. If your cell phone service is good from home, you might want to start with your carrier if they offer something. I have lived here two years, waiting for Aloha or some other broadband company to come into the area. Peggy
Gary

Re: internet service recommendations

Post by Gary »

Aloha
I have tried several different services. AT&T , MOBI, and AWS. AT&T was the best however it took a lot to get setup and it had a data cap of 5 GB per month. For any cellular service you should use a directional antenna above the tree line and a router that's supports usb data cards. This will allow you to share the Internet through the house. I have been on AWS for the past 3 years, there not the best service but it works and I'm online a lot. It stays on in the heavy rain and only slows down a little. The service staff are good and will come out to your house to do a FREE survey to let you know what type of service is available to your house. My kids watch netflix all the time and seams to work well. Other video sites not so good don't even try YouTube. It does have a high install cost but the monthly bill is not bad. I have checked with Aloha Broadband several times they gave me a very high price due to they are not setup in the area. If more of us keep contacting them maybe they will expand into this area.
Thanks
Gary