WHAT FRUITS/VEGGIES GROW IN ER?

For posting anything in any category we don't yet have a forum for...
Chris85

WHAT FRUITS/VEGGIES GROW IN ER?

Post by Chris85 »

Hi, my name is Chris and I have posted a couple time previously on this forum. My wife and I are planning our move to Hawaii (hopefully to the Eden Roc Estates) early next year. We are both very involved in growing our own foods and currently have a nice veggie garden here on the mainland. I have read a couple blogs about what fruits and veggies grow in Hawaii but I understand that the elevation level in ER may conflict with growing certain types. What I am looking for is for people to tell me what they have successfully grown on their property. Do hot weather veggies grow at all (like peppers and tomatoes)? I know most things that can't be grown outdoors could probably thrive in a greenhouse but I am looking for what does well on it's own. I have heard of people talking about a mango tree that will produce even in the higher elevations but haven't actually heard of anyone in particular that has one. Anyways, I would really appreciate this and would love to see pictures of peoples gardens as well. Thanks so much and I look forward to some responses! :D
radiopeg

Re: WHAT FRUITS/VEGGIES GROW IN ER?

Post by radiopeg »

Tangerines seem to do well here. The problem with many things is that they grow, but either don't produce fruit, or the fruit is not very sweet. I have hear that mulberry trees produce well. And Abiu, a tropical fruit I consider "yummy"is supposed to do OK Most of my stuff is too small to fruit, so I can only pass along what I have heard. I have Okinawan spinach doing well and I have a few tapioca plants that seem to bee doing okay. I have an old lemon tree that is very fruitful, and a single mac nut that does not produce, but had been neglected for a long time. I have another now, hoping that cross pollination will help, as it does bloom. Many of your traditional mainland garden stuff will have to be under a rain shelter. I have just a plastic (clear) sheet overhead of our veggies. The grow about 800 times better. Bananas do ok, maybe a little slower to ripen. Figs grow and fruit, but the fruit usually splits before they are ripe. The best garden I have seen in the area was in Fern Acres, and they had industrial size containers and rain cover. They had the most beautiful pineapples! Anyway the rain will be you most pesky problem. And lack of deep soil.
Gary

Re: WHAT FRUITS/VEGGIES GROW IN ER?

Post by Gary »

Aloha
I was getting ready to start the garden this year again and wanted some advice on vegetables. At this point I have had great luck with string beans, Fresno peppers, bok choy, cherry tomatoes, potatoes and yams. Any suggestions would be very helpful.
Thanks