ROLL CALL

For posting anything in any category we don't yet have a forum for...
Ryerro

ROLL CALL

Post by Ryerro »

Hello everyone,
I'm curious as to how many people are active on this forum and also if there are any other means of internet communication (facebook/twitter/yahoo forums/etc...) being utilized in Eden Roc.
Please call out.

Thanks!
airin96771
Site Admin

Re: ROLL CALL

Post by airin96771 »

I'm active, I watch the forums. I don't know of another online method people in Eden Roc use to communicate. Fern Acres and Fern Forrest use Yahoo Groups, which is an email mailing list, any member can send an email which gets delivered to everyone, we could implement that if people wanted it...
radiopeg

Post by radiopeg »

I am around here, too. I like our subdivision. Wish we had better internet choices.
Gary

Post by Gary »

I check in around 2 or 3 times per month. Would check more if there was more activity.
radiopeg

Post by radiopeg »

I find myself posting less than I would, because I feel like I'm talking to myself. This could be a useful site, if we could get more people to use it.
airin96771
Site Admin

Post by airin96771 »

Agreed, any suggestions on how to get more participation in this site? Put up a sign at the front of the subdivision? Door to door pamphlets? Blimp floating over the subdivision? Tell your friends and neighbors? Reprogram an ice cream truck to mention the site and drive it around? SPAM? Bumper stickers? TV Ads?

OK, almost all those are silly, except perhaps tell your friends and neighbors, and maybe a sign/poster at the front of the subdivision, any other ideas?
radiopeg

Post by radiopeg »

The little sign on the front notice board was still there, the last time I looked. I don't know what would help. I would think that most people have an internet active cell phone by now, even if they aren't on a computer. Maybe we are just a hotbed if inertia? What about wearing a clown suit and waving a sign? Ha Ha
Gary

Post by Gary »

I noticed there are a lot of views and very few responses. There are around 80 members and some times Between 100 and 200 views to the transcripts. Is there a way to prompt them to login or register when they check the transcripts. Also I wanted to know out of the 80 members how many have logged in this year. I guess it would help me understand how many active members we have.
Thanks
airin96771
Site Admin

Post by airin96771 »

I just checked, including myself, 12 members have been active this year. Active meaning they at least logged into their account. We can make some things only visible to logged in members, what does everyone think about that? I can e-mail the board and if they agree I can implement that, do you think we should make it so only registered members can see those posts?

Due to huge amounts of spam and spammers registering to the site (dozens per day normally), we require that someone who signs up, they need to send me an e-mail asking me to activate their account, this tends to filter out all the spammers, but it does mean if someone signs up it may take me a day to get their account active.
radiopeg

Post by radiopeg »

If we knew why people don't register, we might be able to figure out what we should do. I have no problem with having people register to view, but it seems harsher than most forums. Can we email the most active of us and see if anyone would try an experiment of going a month and posting every appropriate thing they can think of to share? I would post more, but seeing myself as the last poster already, I hesitate about looking like a one person band. I generally want to wait before responding, just so people can see there are other folks out there. I'd really like to see gardening take off as a topic, since I am struggling to grow some stuff here. I'd love to hear success stories.

Maybe when the road fee bill goes out we could add in a request for folks to check in here and see how we are doing. A mass mailing with a message to help this site become more useful? Some of the stuff I have heard at the monthly meeting has been interesting (not always in a good way) and that physical meeting is the only time I meet people, besides the hitch hikers, that is. I would like to help build some community feeling here.

So, I will work on any plan you have. Peggy