ROLL CALL

For posting anything in any category we don't yet have a forum for...
MikeR

Re: ROLL CALL

Post by MikeR »

I'm a new member and I admit I lurked for around a year before signing up. The lack of activity was mostly what kept me from signing up, but now that I own a place in ER, I figured I better sign up and give it a shot. The lag between making a post and it showing up is a bit of a drag (I'm sure there's an excellent reason for it, but it's a negative 'feature' from a users perspective) - this is something other forums like punaweb don't have. I know when I go to my cottage in ER, I won't have internet (at least for quite a while), but as to other residents, who knows? I don't know my neighbors yet, but if I get to know them I'll ask them. If we all do the same, perhaps a clear picture will emerge.
radiopeg

Post by radiopeg »

Hello Mike, welcome to Eden Roc. I volunteered to check the posts, and I usually do so about twice a day. We are off grid and have very slow internet, hence the less than speedy reply. It can be frustrating to work my computer here. Because of the amount of spam and stuff, we do this personalized process. Certainly Punaweb is a big reference, but there is no reason we can't make this one good for our neighborhood. If you find a good contractor/handyman that you liked, be sure and post the information for us.

I also have two other topics I'd like to present. We need some able bodied, able to pass a drug test for our volunteer fire department. The other is a civil defense program called CERT, Citizen's Emergency Response Team. It is done as a series of 4 one day classes. It is designed to be a first response to a major catastrophe, and is encouraging people to bunch up by neighborhood. There is an active group in Volcano and none closer than below Keaau. I am currently listed with Volcano, but I sure would like to see some more local people from Mountain View Area.

We don't have a regular meet and greet on this website, so I will add that we are both retired, waiting for our property out of state to sell, so we can get a house here. We are from WA, via Northern Cal. No children at home, but love our three pets. Besides amateur radio, I like to garden and read. There is a Friends of the Mountain View Library if you are interested. Also a good water garden club that meets in Keauu, and is not totally water related. Folk dance in Hilo, too. My other half is Cory, and I am Peggy.
louiem

Post by louiem »

i think that punaweb.org is a good place for new people on island to get alot of information, if people who are part of the erea association need a question answered, all they need to do is email erea@edenrocestates.com and i check and answer everyday, otherwise in my opinion, this website is good for people to view the community minutes and be able to get a brief overview on eden roc, and see our contact info. all these different catagories seem a bit much to me. thanks to Airin for setting up this site and maintaining it, we really appreciate his contribution.
come to the monthly meetings
Louiem
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

Thanks for the warm welcome. Hopefully I can make the July meeting.
Chris85

Post by Chris85 »

Well It's been a while since this thread was last used but I figured I would check in as a newcomer. My name is Chris and my wife and I are planning on moving to Eden Rock within the next 6months to a year. I posted something in the "Buying/building a home here in Eden Roc" section in case anyone is interested in finding out more about that. Anyways, I am very interested in doing whatever I can to help find new ways of turning this forum into a success. We are pretty well set on our decision to make Eden Roc our home so I am sure you will be hearing many more posts to come from me. Please e-mail me at ivpropertymaintenance@yahoo.com if you know of anyone looking to sell a 1 acre lot in Eden Roc for a good price. We can finance or pay cash so please let me know what you have available. Thanks!
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

Welcome, Chris. When I was looking for real estate, I found bigislandreale.com to be a great tool for finding places. Their map search is pretty neat. You have to sign up for an online account with them, but it wasn't a hassle. The official Hawaii mls site is alohaliving.com

One thing I can say for sure is make sure you spend some time in the neighborhood before committing to buy. Every place is different and it some times takes a few weeks to find out if your neighbors (even a few doors down) have crazy shouting matches at 2 am or worse.
Chris85

Post by Chris85 »

Thanks for the help Mike. I will definitely check those sites out. As far as scoping the properties out a few weeks before purchasing, I would love it if that was an option. We have already committed this move and routine visits back and forth get very expensive. Trust me when I say however, we have done our due diligence as far as researching the internet can get you. Through countless forums and informative sites, we feel that we have a general grasp of the area. We are coming from a rural part of southern Oregon and are quite used to the random meth-head (or "ice-head" as I have read in the blogs) or midnight gunshots.

We are not coming to Hawaii to run away from the problems, as these are worries everyone must face when moving anywhere. Our goal is to take on everything Hawaii has and enjoy every bit of it. We love our life here, even with all the issues that come with it, and feel confident we will be happy where ever we choose to call home. Of course we will do what research we can before committing to a purchase. We plan to fly over about a month prior to our move, view all the properties available at that time, visit each one and scout the street out, and finally make an offer on the one we like best.

We are definitely looking forward to living in and enjoying such an awesome place, but are fully aware that it comes with it's ups and downs. I really hope that we can help bring some help positive direction for the area but are in no way planning on coming up to change things around. Thanks again for the advice and I appreciate and other help.

Chris
radiopeg

Post by radiopeg »

I am seeing "Eden Roc" pop up on punaweb.org a lot lately. I wish we could suck off a little life for this forum. With no "community" centered activities it is hard to meet other people in our same subdivision. Anyone have any suggestions?