Coquí Frogs

Dedicated to the discussion of invasive species, you can also set meeting time and places for dealing with them.

How do you like Coqui frogs here in Eden Roc?

1 - I hate them, if I had a magic button that would wipe them out...
54%
2 - I don't like them/too much noise...
15%
3 - I don't know/care, they don't bother me.
15%
4 - I like them, it's like a symphony of sounds at nighttime.
15%
5 - I love them, stop killing them!
No votes

Total votes: 13

airin96771
Site Admin

Coquí Frogs

Post by airin96771 »

I don't have much to say, except we have them at my house (lower 3rd of Road 22). Here is alink to the Wikipedia article on them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coqui

I have created a poll, everyone can vote once (if you vote again it just changes your vote, so only 1 vote is counted per person). We can't see who voted what, just the numbers.
Loke

Re: Coquí Frogs

Post by Loke »

I don't know how to reply to the poll so the answer becomes part of the results.
airin96771
Site Admin

Post by airin96771 »

Aloha, if you are signed into your Forum account before viewing the Poll, it will let you cast your vote, so just go sign in and then come back to it and it will let you. Aloha!
mary

Post by mary »

What is Coqui noise afterall? Chirping, is what the coqui sanctuary calls it;
Their song, their mating call. It sounds to me like they are screaming!!
Running low on dough towards the end of the year, I may have coqui stew, mmmm :twisted:
mojo69

Post by mojo69 »

i have read many books on the frogs,they have only three foes except humans,they are birds,rats,& mongoose. there are traps that can be made from pvc or bamboo in a t shape, and must be checked daily.they climb the trees at night and chirp,in the day they climb down to the bottem.the males watch the eggs and if they need water he will go and bring it back to them.if you go out at night and listen you can find the trees they are in,then in the daytime go to the bottem of the trees and they will be in the grass or leaves.it takes work but it is better than spraying something that will go into the ground water and we and our children drink.the hawaiians have a great love of their land why ruin it more than it already is.....
rosieak

Post by rosieak »

I like the sound...but then again my wife snores... :lol:
edenroc

Post by edenroc »

I use to like them 2 years ago. But now they are to many and have become annoying. I heard on the Radio that baking soda can be used to get rid of them? Don't know how that works.
bfreitas

Post by bfreitas »

I saw this on the community meetings posts:

COMMUNTITY SERVICE PERSON WILL FABRICATE TRAILER FOR
OUR SPRAYER AT NO COST TO EDEN ROC, PICK UP BED HAS BEEN
DONATED

What kin sprayer is this? Is this a coqui sprayer? cause i have plenty coquis. do u have a program so people can use it. i been trying to get the grant to get the supplys but they said somebody in eden roc already got one and they only have one per community. so do u have the lime or the citric acid for people too? someone please let meknow. ive been putting lime in newspaper ball bombs and trhowing them at the trees where i hear them, it works ok but theres too many. thx
radiopeg

Post by radiopeg »

I found the noise level at the lot I am on was unobjectionable, but I was advised this was due to the recent drought conditions. I was hoping they had chewed each other up. It was way quieter than where I stayed in Fern Acres.
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

I like them for the most part. Much more soothing than the barking dogs or people a block or two away screaming in the middle of the night. When they trail off in the morning and the roosters start crowing definitely wakes me up. Wish the cocquis would stay until 5 or 6 some times. But at least I always get an early start to the day!