Free Community Health Screenings Offered On the Big Island

This forum is for any community events, yard sales, meetings, etc.
radiopeg

Free Community Health Screenings Offered On the Big Island

Post by radiopeg »

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 19, 2012

Free Community Health Screenings
Offered On the Big Island by
WE … a Hui for health

Contacts: Elizabeth Anne Hiller, Executive Director, Project Vision Hawaii
Phone: (808) 282-2265, email: annie@projectvisionhawaii.com

Anne Chipchase, MA, CVM, Board President, Project Vision Hawaii
Phone: (808)282-3899, email: anne.chipchase@wellcare.com

Maryellen Markley, Ph.D., Development and PR
Phone: (808) 561-8096, email: memarkley1@me.com
------------------------------

WE … a hui for health, a program created in 2011 and based on Hawai’i values and local relationships, will be in 16 Big Island communities over the next month to give island residents greater access to health screenings and information to help them understand their role in improving their own health.

WE events on the Big Island are made possible through the financial and materials support of many different health-related advocacy groups, government agencies, native Hawaiian health organizations, ‘Ohana Health Plan, Young Brothers and the Lions Clubs throughout Hawai’i, all working together to provide these free health screening events. Events will be held at the following locations and dates:

Kona Kmart Friday, Aug 24
Vision Van ONLY 11am-4pm
Full WE, including Vision Van 4pm-7pm

Kona Farmers Market & Keauhou Shopping Center Saturday, Aug 25
Full WE, including Vision Van 9am-1pm
Vision Van ONLY 1pm-5pm

Kealakekua Shop Center (near Choice Mart) Sunday, Aug 26
Full WE, including Vision Van 9am-1pm Vision Van ONLY 1pm-4pm

((MORE))
2-2-2

Ocean View Farmers Market Saturday, Sept 1
Full WE, including Vision Van 8am–12noon

Ka’u Resource and Distance Learning Center Saturday, Sept 1
Full WE, including Vision Van 2pm–6pm

Maku’u Market, Pahoa Sunday, Sept 2
Full WE, including Vision Van 7am–12noon

Hilo Band Stand Friday, Sept 7
Full WE, including Vision Van 8am-11am

Hilo Life Care Center Saturday, Sept 8
Full WE, including Vision Van 8am–3pm

Hilo Wal-Mart Sunday, Sept 9
Full WE, including Vision Van 10am–2pm

Hawai`i County Fair, Hilo Thursday, Sept 13
Vision Van ONLY 6pm-10pm

North Hawaii Education and Research Center Friday, Sept 14
Vision Van ONLY 9am-5pm

North Hawai`i Community Hospital, Waimea Saturday, Sept 15
Full WE, including Vision Van 11am–2pm
Vision Van ONLY 9am-5pm

Waikoloa Shopping Center Sunday, Sept 16
Vision Van ONLY 9am–4pm

Hawi Banyan Tree Tuesday, Sept 18
Vision Van ONLY 9am-3pm

County Parks Gym Saturday, Sept 22
Vision Van ONLY 9am-5pm

Parker Ranch Center, Waimea Sunday, Sept 23
Vision Van ONLY 9am-5pm

((MORE))
3-3-3

Young Brothers has had a very special role in bringing these events to the Big Island. They provide inter-island shipping of the Project Vision Hawaii vision van, thereby making these health screening events possible.

Other community partners who have made these special free programs possible include Hamakua Health Center, North Hawaii Community Hospital, Hui Malama Ola `Oiwi, the Department of Health office on the Big Island, Ka`u Resource and Distance Learning Center, Ka`u Hospital, Life Care Center, and many others.

Screenings WE provides include:
• Retinal Screening on the Vision Van (Project Vision Hawaii, Lions Clubs of District 50 Lions Clubs International and numerous Optometrists and Ophthalmologists on every island)
• Lung Function Testing – Spirometry - (Hawaii COPD Coalition)
• Glucose and Blood Pressure Testing (American Diabetes Association, Entra Health Systems `Ohana Health Plan)
• Take-Home Kidney Function Test (National Kidney Foundation of Hawaii)
• Women’s Health and Breast Self-Examination training and Information (The Queen’s Medical Center, Women’s Health and Maternity Services)
• Hepatitis Risk Assessment and Screening and Safe Tattoo Practices information (Hepatitis Support Network)
• Hearing Testing and Learning Disabilities Information (Learning Disabilities Association of Hawai’i)
• Smoking Cessation Counseling (America Lung Association)
• Family Caregiver Counseling (The Caregiver Foundation of America, Hawaii Chapter)
• Organ Donor Counseling (Legacy of Life Hawaii)
• Mental Health Information, Peer Education, and Resource Publications (Community Alliance for Mental Health)
((MORE))

4-4-4

• Cancer - Issues with the diagnosis and treatment of Cancer (‘Imi Hale of Papa Ola Lokahi)
• Medicare Education and assistance (Sage PLUS, Executive Office on Aging, Department of Health, State of Hawai’i)
• The Department of Health is also offering information on Disaster Preparedness – “Plan 9” for sheltering in place provides a guide to help residents shelter-in-place in the event of an emergency.
• For healthier eating habits, the DOH has Hawaii 5-2-1-0 providing o simple steps to healthy lifestyles for children and families.
• Hui Malama Ola Na `Oiwi, Native Hawaiian Health Care for Hawai`i Island, will be providing nutrition education and tobacco cessation awareness education and displays.

Throughout 2012, “WE… a hui for Health” will offer 50 individual days of screening, including many held on Hawaiian Homelands. WE will cover all six major Hawaiian Islands, providing services to at least 8,000 individuals in lower-income, rural areas of the state, and areas without sufficient medical resources.

###