Public Safety Meeting at Leilani Feb 28th

This forum is for any community events, yard sales, meetings, etc.
radiopeg

Public Safety Meeting at Leilani Feb 28th

Post by radiopeg »

This has been copied from Puna Web. It seems like a good place to start in changing police actions in our neighborhoods.

There will be a public safety meeting at Leilani Community Center Feb 28, 7pm.

This meeting has been organized following a shocking (but, sadly, not rare) incident first brought to light in this letter which appeared in Big Island Weekly earlier in the month:
http://bigislandweekly.com/news/letter- ... tor-5.html

I have since talked with the author of the letter, Joel Foster, who was attacked by dogs in Leilani.
The Hawaii County Police tried to dismiss the incident as something they could do nothing about.
Joel refused to let them ignore it.

The issue here is Police responsiveness and equal enforcement of laws.
As horrible as it may sound, dog attacks are not uncommon in Hawaii County, yet enforcement of existing laws regarding such attacks is uncommon.

If you are able, please consider being present at this meeting to show support for public safety.

Anyone who has a similar story to relate, regarding dog attacks and/or inadequate police responsiveness in a matter of public safety, will be invited to share that story so that the wider community can learn from it.
radiopeg

Re: Public Safety Meeting at Leilani Feb 28th

Post by radiopeg »

I thought that I should clarify the info just a bit here. The meeting is actually the regularly scheduled Neighborhood Watch meeting for the Leilani Estates subdivision. Joel asked if he could address the issue there and the Watch chairman agreed. These meetings are open to the larger district and folks are welcome to come to support Neighborhood Watch as well as discuss community issues.