Earthbag Homes

If you have any questions about buying land, building a home, etc, ask them in here.
Elle

Earthbag Homes

Post by Elle »

Aloha - I have two questions...

We just bought a lot there and are looking forward to building a home for our son. Are Earthbag homes permittable in Puna? They're so much more environmentally viable so I have my heart set on one. I looked on the building department's website but there is no information. The next step is to call but I thought if someone had any info here that would be great!

Second, we have friends who are also interested in a parcel near to us. Does anyone have lots for sale on road number 9 or Ahi Ave? We'd appreciate any info.

Also - septic systems - my husband knows about them but I was wondering if anyone could give me the low down - Ie. price, basic construction overview, etc. just for my own info. I don't like to be ignorant.

Mahalo Nui Loa

Elle
jkern15674

Re: Earthbag Homes

Post by jkern15674 »

first what is an earthbag home? second most homes built in eden roc have not gone through the permitting process, so yes allowable but need to know what it is in order to tell you if it is permittable. no bout da land for sale and septic will cost you almost as much as you paid for you land, depending on if you are on da grid. most use cesspools and you can find out bout them from da county
louiem

Re: Earthbag Homes

Post by louiem »

the county building department will be able to tell you what is permissible, cesspools are the norm here and are relatively inexpensive, about $1750.00, but wiith so many out of work you might be able to get a lower cost, I would say most homes built in the last years are permitted, aloha and good luck.