Agricultural potential in Eden ROC

If you have any questions about buying land, building a home, etc, ask them in here.
3hawks

Agricultural potential in Eden ROC

Post by 3hawks »

I am purchasing a lot in Eden ROC and would like to know what class of sustainable agriculture would work in the area. I am from rural Oregon and have a good background in horticulture/ agriculture, but would like some local advice on what thrives at 1700' on Big Island. Mostly I would like to know what crops grow well and any hints on growing them. Also, how do people in the area feel about livestock, pigeons, chickens, etc in the area? Will the native flora support cattle or horses? Is there any interest in a barter/ exchange market for local produce, eggs, meat?

Thank you.

-Jeremy-
misshilo

Re: Agricultural potential in Eden ROC

Post by misshilo »

Hi Jeremy,

Most Counties in the US have extension programs which are cohorts with their local public universities that help the public with ag info. Here is the website:
http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/acad/Counti ... d=ER-HKOMO
They have the usual master gardener classes, plant and disease identification, etc.

Corn, tomatoes and other heat loving crops will not do well in this subdivision; although I think I read on
http://punaweb.org/Forum/default.asp?CAT_ID=1
that someone was able to grow tomatoes. On that website, there's a woman who gives free hydroponic lettuce classes. Check it out.

Hydroponics does well, some root veges like carrots and potatoes.

"Any hints on growing them......" Greenhouse, greenhouse, greenhouse! Why? Rain, rain, rain!

"Also, how do people in the area feel about livestock, pigeons, chickens, etc in the area?" That depends on your neighbors. This IS ag land, and that means all of those you mentioned are legal. Someone's got a whole bunch of pigs in pens in their front yard....but it's on a side road. Someone's got a whole bunch of roosters tied to little a-frame houses in their front yard.....that's on the corner of one of the two main roads. Chickens? Pigeons? I think the only problem you'll have is with critters that make noise. And you may only have a problem is a neighbor says so. Only problem is roosters can be heard loud and clear for up to two miles away. Only problem is, the neighbor that they are offending may not tell you. Paraquat is very popular in this area. :roll:

A neighbor two streets down has a cow and the neighbor down the street has a horse; they both move them around to grassy areas, sometimes onto other people's properties. They get plenty of native grasses; including california grass.

Barter for ....
That Punaweb site I linked to above has categories
I've also found Craigslist for the big island has barter and farming categories; make sure you click on the Big Island tab once you've entered the category or you'll find yourself knee deep in the other islands.
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/

There are bulletin boards at the local mom and pop stores like Kurtistown store, at the feed supply stores like Del's that you can find ads and place an ad

Good luck
3hawks

Post by 3hawks »

Thank you for the info.

Has anyone had luck with Papaya, Banana, Avacado, Passion fruit or Citrus in Eden Roc? Any recomendations for sourcing local seeds, plants and greenhouse/ planting materials?

Is there a size limit on sheds, barns or greenhouses (ie:ag structures) before a permit is needed? Also, any recommendations on excavation contractors and water storage contractors will be welcomed.
scuba_man7

Post by scuba_man7 »

The place that I stay (friend owns) has an avocado tree and lemon tree on the lot. Both do very, very well.

Joe
trackmom

Post by trackmom »

We have two orange trees, a tangerine tree, and a lemon tree. They all produce; the lemon tree is the best. We have several avocado trees started and so far they have grown very well, but they aren't old enough for produce fruit yet.
huli

Post by huli »

Aloha Jeremy,
I just bid on a lot, hoping to be up there soon! My interest is in sustainable organic farming too. I'd be very interested in trade once I'm up and running. How has your garden done over the past year? Did you discover any crops that go bonkers up there?

I've been down at sea level for three years, so it'll be interesting to see how some of my crops make the transition. Mostly I'll miss the mangos & the chickens will miss the unlimited supply of coconuts.
huli

Post by huli »

Has anyone found a mango variety that will produce fruit this high up? I know it's a longshot, but here's to hoping!
Mahalo,
Huli